Sunday, July 13, 2014

Reclaimed child's rocker


I bought this rocker recently at a local garage sale for a few dollars. The lady asked me if I could repair the chair as is. I suspect this would have been impossible without completely redoing the rush.


There are few things that give me more pleasure than taking something that is old and useless and apparently ready for the trash heap, and reconditioning it and giving it new life. I'm told I come by this honestly, since my grandmother was much the same way, taking furniture off the side of the road and fixing it up to make it usable.

This project involved making an entire new seat, which I did out of lumber used in this project as well (bookcase). I used all hand tools to cut the shape and then hallow out a shallow center which makes all the difference between a comfortable and an uncomfortable chair. The rest of the work involved cleaning the wood and applying a little lemon oil. Looks good now for years to come (or as long as we have a child small enough to sit in it!)



No comments:

Post a Comment