Friday, February 22, 2013

Shelf for CDs


I recently received a huge cache of cds that formerly belonged to one of my father's legal clients. Most of the cds are classical--mainly Romantic and modern--and jazz. Unfortunately I had no place to hold them. An old sheet music cabinet that I use for other cds is already full. So, I designed my latest project to fit in a small corner of the library, and it should hold most of the cds (though, sadly, not all).

It was a fairly simple project, with a basic structure with shelves, framed by a simple border. The best part of the project was learning how to use this special wood plane called a combination plane--a Stanley No.45--to make what are known as dadoes and rabbets.

What is a combination plane, you ask? It is a plane with about two dozen interchangable blades. As a unit, this one plane replaces dozens and dozens of other planes that can only do one operation. The following are some pictures of the plane and its accompanying blades.





The combination replaces the task, for example, of this moulding plane used for making a moulded edge on a board.


Which can easily grow to this number or more: 


For my project I did not make any moldings. I simply made rabbets and dadoes as seen is this picture of my test piece (used primarily to lessen the learning curve once I actually made my project proper). The rabbet is the groove on the left at the edge of the board, and the dadoes are in the middle of the board. These give the shelves and sides are interlocking quality that makes the shelves able to bear weight and the whole piece more sturdy and stable.


Here is the final project sitting in my shop followed by a picture of it in the library:



No comments:

Post a Comment